Turkey hunting is a popular and exciting sport that involves pursuing and hunting wild turkeys in their natural habitat. Whether you are a seasoned hunter or just starting out, there are several important considerations you need to keep in mind to ensure a successful and safe hunting experience.
In this beginner's guide for how to turkey hunt, we'll go over the essential tools, techniques, and tips you need to know to get started.
Turkey Vision Is Real - Keep Out Of Sight
SKRE Gear® offers bundles geared specifically towards turkey hunters to help maximize concealment and give you the advantage when hunting Strutters.
Shop Turkey Hunting Gear
What To Wear Turkey Hunting
The first step in preparing for a turkey hunt is to make sure you have the proper equipment. Some of the essential gear you'll need includes:
- Hunting clothes: Camouflage clothing is a must for turkey hunting, as it helps you blend in with your surroundings and stay concealed from the turkeys. Look for clothing that is lightweight and breathable, and make sure you choose a pattern that matches the area where you'll be hunting.
- Hunting boots: Good hunting boots are essential for keeping you comfortable and providing the support you need when navigating through the woods. Look for boots with good traction and insulation, especially if you'll be hunting in wet or cold conditions.
- Shotgun: A shotgun is the most common weapon used for turkey hunting. Look for a shotgun with a choke that's specifically designed for turkey hunting, as this will help you hit your target with more accuracy.
- Decoys: Decoys are an essential tool for turkey hunting, as they can help you attract turkeys and bring them closer to your shooting range. Look for decoys that are realistic and natural-looking, and make sure they are easy to set up and take down.
- Calls: Calls are another essential tool for turkey hunting, as they allow you to imitate the sounds of a turkey and attract birds within shooting range. Look for calls that are simple to use and produce the sounds you need to attract turkeys.
Know the Hunting Regulations
Before you head out for your first turkey hunt, make sure you understand the regulations in your area. These regulations will vary depending on where you live, but they may include restrictions on the number of birds you can take, the dates when hunting is allowed, and the type of weapons you can use. Familiarize yourself with the regulations in your area and make sure you follow them carefully to avoid any legal issues.
Study Turkey Behavior
To be a successful turkey hunter, you need to understand the habits and behaviors of the birds you are pursuing. Take the time to study turkeys in their natural habitat, paying close attention to their patterns of movement, feeding habits, and vocalizations. This knowledge will help you predict their movements and increase your chances of successfully taking a bird.
Know Your TerrainThe terrain you hunt in can greatly affect your chances of success. Before you head out, familiarize yourself with the area where you'll be hunting, including the types of trees, vegetation, and topography. Knowing the terrain will help you determine the best place to set up your decoys and call the turkeys in.
Stay ConcealedTurkeys have excellent eyesight and can easily spot any movement or unusual shapes in their environment. When hunting, make sure you stay concealed and minimize your movements as much as possible. Use natural cover like trees, bushes, or tall grass to hide yourself, and always stay downwind of the turkeys to avoid alerting them to your presence.
Patience is a key component of successful turkey hunting. Turkeys can be wary and may take a while to come in, so be prepared to wait for several hours if necessary. Make sure you are comfortable and well-fed, and bring a good book or some other entertainment to pass the time.
If you are getting ready for your spring turkey hunt, make sure to check out Skre's Turkey Starter Bundle to get the turkey hunting gear you need for a successful season.